Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Southwest Rapid Rewards

I don't love flying.  Its not that I'm afraid of the plane crashing.  The problem for me, is with the amount of carbon emissions produced when flying.  I know I am polluting the atmosphere every time I fly on a plane.  But, there are times when I feel that I really must travel by plane.
I'm leaving tonight to go see my brother and father in San Francisco.  They are both having some health issues, and I really want to head out there to support them.  Fortunately for me, I have quite a few Southwest miles.  I am not a huge fan of Southwest, their planes seem pretty old, the service is just OK, and there are no TV's.  But, their prices are great, and I recently found out that booking rewards travel with Southwest is really easy and convenient.
I booked my flight last night for travel today.  There were no additional fees for booking last minute, and the total cost for the round trip flight was 23,759 RapidRewards points.  That is roughly equivalent to $237.  Great deal, I thought.  But, here is the kicker: after I booked my flight (arriving in SFO at 6:45), I found out that my brother had a dinner reservation with my Mom at that time.  I really wanted to go to dinner with them.  So, this morning, I changed my flight to a flight that lands at 4:30pm.  I paid exactly $0 to make this change.  Needless to say, I am really happy with my RapidRewards experience thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment